Establishing a Stepping Out Policy often falls to the CHRO. We can assist you to create and introduce a Stepping Out Policy with high quality supporting practices.
Our advisory service can help you get it right:
· Ensuring that every member of the top team understands that they are expected to leave at the right time.
· Safeguarding that age discrimination does not raise its ugly head.
· Introducing a process that necessitates and facilitates safe and purposeful stepping out conversations between the organisation
and the individual
· Providing support services such as Stepping Out coaching to every top team member as and when required
Does your organisation have a policy with good supporting practices to ensure that senior executives leave well and do so at the right time? Most organisations don’t.
Here are 6 good reasons why a Stepping Out Policy is important:
1. Every top team needs movement. It’s healthy. New blood refreshes the team, bringing new perspectives, new ideas and new
energy. It shouldn’t be left to chance.
2. Succession – most organisations concentrate on one half the succession planning equation—getting people bench-ready to
succeed. The other half is making the space for those people to succeed into. Before someone steps in, someone has to step out.
Top Team off boarding needs to be addressed.
3. Your senior leaders can leave too early or leave too late. Both come with significant costs for the organisation as well as the
individual. A Stepping Out Policy can help ensure that senior leaders get stepping out right.
4. A Delicate Matter – stepping out can be a delicate matter for senior executives. It doesn’t need to be. After all, anyone who steps
in must, at some point, step out. It’s a natural law. Having a policy and practices that encourage good quality conversations
between the individual and the organisation in a safe environment is essential.
5. Support – Stepping out from the top team is a significant career and life transition. For many successful senior executives finding
the exit door at the right time can prove complicated and difficult. A Stepping Out policy can make provision for great support,
such as Stepping Out coaching. It means that senior executives feel recognised and valued. As a result, they go on to become
ambassadors and advocates for the organisation.
6. Who decides? – and finally, wouldn’t it be great if senior executives decided for themselves to step out at the right time—before
the organisation needs to decide for them?
Our Advisory Service provides best practice advice and hands-on support to enable CHROs to get the senior stepping out policy and practices right.
We help you to create a policy that is tailored precisely to your organisation's needs.
To do so, we work one-on-one with you and with your key stakeholders. We can facilitate your conversations with, for example, the Board Chair and CEO, and the Executive Team in order to agree and establish the policy and its supporting practices.
The advisory support we offer provides practical assistance in creating and embedding your senior stepping out policy and supporting practices.
As a result:
An effective policy and practices in your organisation:
· Gives the best chance that senior executives leave in the right way and at the right time—for both themselves and the organisation
· Creates safety from age discrimination
· Encourages open conversations between individuals and the organisation
· Supports senior executives to plan and execute their departure from the top team in a positive way
· Ensures that movement occurs allowing fresh faces, fresh ideas and refresh energy to come into the executive suite